Financial Capability Builder Program (FCB)
Bronx’s NHS Financial Capability Builder Program (FCB)
The Bronx’s NHS FCB targets underserved residents by focusing on available resources and services, which promote long-term solutions for individuals and families to build success. The Financial Capability Builder program addresses different aspects of a client’s life including financial, housing, budgeting, resources, education and taxes. These services will lead our Bronx low-to-middle income families to self-sufficiency. The Bronx NHS FCB program serves the borough of the Bronx where many of our residents face limited employment opportunities, low wages, lack of affordable housing, home-ownership opportunities, and financial management skills needed to become self-sufficient. Bronx NHS, is a not for profit community development leader in the provision of community services.
Since 2005, Bronx NHS has been offering financial education in one form or another in collaboration with our community partners. Between September of 2020 and September 2021 we will conduct 10 Financial Capacity Builder (FCB) seminars reaching 250 residents and 100 one-on-one counseling sessions. In addition, Bronx NHS intends to bring the Financial Capacity Builder (FCB) program to thousands of other under served residents through existing partnerships.
Build Your Financial Action Plan
Set a wealth-building goal such as home ownership, higher education, entrepreneurship, or retirement. Master your household budget, diminish your debt, improve your credit, and launch saving plan for your future.
Managing debt and building wealth shouldn’t be as hard as it seems, if you have a plan. We will assist you in achieving your goals, by helping you to understand the “how and why” of winning financial habits. We will help you create a plan specific to your needs, that helps you reach your goals rather than set just set goals. Our trained staff will provide you the tools you need to create and achieve meaningful goals. Our innovative program curriculum provides guidance, accountability and encouragement– the result is an achievable financial future.
No matter what your future goals are, chances are you will need solid credit and money management skills to get there. If you need to work on repairing your credit, reducing your debt, or building your savings, we can help. Take the first step in building a brighter future by contacting us today.
The goals of the Bronx’s NHS FCB are:
- to provide residents with the knowledge, skills, practice, and confidence necessary to become financial self-sufficient;
- to increase financial stability for low-to-moderate income and under served individuals and households in the Bronx through building financial capability,
- to promote financial inclusion and healthy financial behaviors in the community through education, coaching, and participatory action;
- to connect residents with public and charitable programs. We connect the unemployed, low-to-moderate income, individuals, families, elderly, frail, and disabled members of our community with support that decreases their hardship.
- to screen residents to determine the public benefits available to them and their family. We can assist clients as they apply for benefits, work to find employment, and generally try to improve their current situation and prepare for a better future;
- to assist our clients to gain access to services and benefits and to help them help themselves;
- make home-ownership opportunities available.
Our services consists of a need assessment, provide clients with direct services and referrals to other not-for-profit organizations and government agencies whose goals are low-to-moderate-income families well-being.
- Action plan
- Referral to social services,
- Housing services,
- Financial assessment
- Benefits & Other Assistance
- SNAP (Food Stamp) Outreach
- Food Pantries
- Health Insurance Assistance
- Children & Youth Programs
- Family Programs
- Services for Seniors
- Immigration Services
- Eviction Prevention
- Homeless Services
- Workforce Development
We work with clients to assess their financial status, and provide them with the public and charitable programs available to them and their families. We can assist clients to apply for benefits, work to find employment, and generally try to improve individuals and families current situation and help them get prepared for a better future. As every situation is unique, we recommend our clients to schedule one- on – one-assessment meetings with our counselors to discuss any programs in which they are interested.
We provide assistance in applying for benefit programs such as:
Financial Capability Builder Program’s Common $ense Financial Course
The Bronx NHS’ Common $sense Financial Course is a three session class, one session per quarter. Session topics include:
- Session I – Money Management and Goal Setting.
- Session 2 – Banking and Savings Basics.
- Session 3 – Buying a Home, Improving Your Credit and Retaining a Home
Common $ense class. Topics are delivered using the Consumer Action’s MoneyWise’ Guide and Tools. As well as the CFPB’s handouts. The course is offered in both English and Spanish and it is tailored to educate low-to-moderate-income individuals and families by focusing on financial services, sound financial planning and debt management, saving for emergencies and retirement and how to avoid frauds and scams.